Thursday, January 20, 2011

Rio Pedragosa


This morning I headed up toward Coyhaique Alto – border crossing into Argentina.  My intention was to stop at the bridge crossing and fish for a while and then move upstream near the border.  Never made it that far.  The Pedragosa looks like it should http://www.findmespot.com/mylocation/?id=47BTO/\-45.50909/\-71.73682 (view in Google earth to get the feeling for it) hold some big fish but in the 5 years I’ve been fishing it I’ve only got one fish in the 18 inch size.  It always yields a lot of fish though.  

My intention was to fish up to where we stopped last year and then come back to the car and then drive further upstream for the rest of the day but I never made it.  From about 10:00 to 2:00 it was fish after fish on my GUIDE FLY, a size 14 STREAM SIDE ADVENTURES generic nymph dropped about 2 feet below a big fly of some kind.  Then about 2:00 when I reached a deep gorge run there were fish chasing caddis every place.  From then on for the next two hours it was non-stop action on a size 14 tan caddis. 

Generally the gorges are the end of fishing.  They aren’t very long but are too deep to wade through and generally have sheer walls.  At this one I was able to crawl and climb my way through it.  The fishing above it was great.  The head of the pool in the picture gave up about 10 fish with two about 16 inches and the rest 12 to 14 inches.  My intention was to move quickly upstream and just “cherry pick” the best runs.  Good intention be dammed.  I fished to just about every rise.  At about 4:00 I decided I better head back to the truck.  

The walk back – going as straight as I could rather than follow the river – took me nearly an hour.  I still have a month left here.  I’m going to see what is around the next bend or 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment